Climate Change’s Momentum for Change initiative, the United Nation Global Climate Action Award shines a light on the most innovative, scalable and replicable examples of what people around the world are doing to tackle climate change.
The 2020 call for applications includes the following three areas of focus:
- Women for Results, recognizing the critical leadership and participation of women in addressing climate change;
- Financing for Climate Friendly Investment, recognizing successful financial innovations for climate change adaption and mitigation;
- Climate Neutral Now, recognizing efforts by individuals, companies and governments that are achieving real results in transitioning to climate neutrality.
Why should you apply?
If your project is selected as a winning activity under the Women for Results or Climate Neutral Now categories*, you will receive a wide range of benefits, including fully covered attendance to the UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow, Scotland, in November 2020; access to policy makers and potential funders during the conference; public recognition by the UN Climate Change secretariat; public relations support and media training; marketing materials, including promotional videos; a dedicated page about your project on UN website; and professional photography.
*Winning projects under the Financing for Climate Friendly Investment category will need to be self-funded to the conference and provide their own video and photo materials.
What benefits do United Nation Global Climate Action Award winners receive?
Award winners receive the following benefits package:
- Engagement with policy makers
- Recognition by the UNFCCC secretariat;
- Funded attendance to UN Climate Change Conference (apart from winners under the Financing for Climate Friendly investment category, which need to be self-funded to attend the Conference);
- Opportunities to present work to policy makers during the UN Climate Change Conference.
- Public relations support
- Concentrated media engagement effort prior to and during the UN Climate Change Conferences, including placement of opinion pieces and earned media;
- On-going digital campaign, including social media, email marketing and promotion on UN Climate Change website.
- Marketing support
- Promotional videos;
- Dedicated webpage on the UN Climate Change website;
- Interactive annual reports;
- Professional photography.
Your activity must meet the eligibility criteria for its respective area of focus. In order to meet the basic eligibility criteria, the activity must:
- Address climate change mitigation or adaptation;
- Be already implemented, or in the course of implementation;
- Be scalable and/or replicable with potential for long-term impact;
- Be innovative and/or demonstrate potential for long-term transformational change;
- Deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits;
- Not be registered or have intentions to register as a clean development mechanism (CDM) or joint implementation (JI) initiative in the next two years.
Organizations, communities, cities, businesses, universities, governments and others that are taking concrete action on climate change can apply to have their projects recognized by the UN Climate Change secretariat as a 2020 Lighthouse Activity.
Note: Each of the three areas of focus has its own criteria.
How to Apply
In order to access the application portal, you will need to create a user name and password. You can create log-in credentials via given website.
After you have created log-in credentials, you will be able to create a new application.
For more information, visit Global Climate Action Award.