Nominations are now open for the Ginetta Sagan Award 2019 to recognize and assist women who are working to protect the liberty and lives of women and children in areas where human rights violations are widespread.
The purpose of the Ginetta Sagan Fund of Amnesty International USA is to support courageous women human rights defenders who are working in dangerous contexts to further the rights of women and children.
The creation of the Ginetta Sagan Fund emphasizes that more human rights work must be done by and for women. The $20,000 award recognizes individual accomplishment, but also serves as a beacon of hope to women everywhere who are fighting for human rights.
- Recognizes outstanding achievement, often at great personal risk.
- Enhances the recipient’s ability to live and work freely, and protects the recipient’s capacity to continue her work, by bringing a new level of international attention to her accomplishments and the obstacles she faces.
- Brings increased international scrutiny to the crisis, region, or issue for which the recipient works.
- The $20,000 award can be used by the awardee at her complete discretion. The money is awarded to the individual, not the organization.
- With the $20,000 award to be used at the awardee’s discretion, the Ginetta Sagan Award also seeks to support the awardee to receive training to assist in her ongoing work. To this end, in addition to the $20,000 award, the awardee can receive up to $5,000 to further their professional development. This can include covering her expenses to participate in, and/or attend trainings throughout 2020.
- Founder and/or Executive Director of an organization.
- Under threat for her activism.
- Proven effective at addressing human rights issues.
- Has brought about significant change in her country, region, or issue through her work.
How to Apply
For more information, please visit Ginetta Sagan Award.