Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Country Health, Safety and Security (HSS) Manager.
NRC Nigeria is recruiting a Health, Safety and Security (HSS) Manager for its country operation. The HSS Manager will be responsible for development and management of Health, Safety and Security risks including organizational structures, accountabilities, policies and procedures in NRC Nigeria.
Nigeria’s north-east region is currently plagued by major humanitarian crises. Since 2009, violent attacks on civilians by Boko Haram have left at least two million people displaced.
Many have fled to Borno State’s capital, Maiduguri, or other urban centres in Borno where the government army provide some security. The influx has led to great pressure on already scarce resources.
Out of 13.4 million people living in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, 7.7 million are in need of assistance and 1.2 million are living in inaccessible areas.
NRC Nigeria started the current country programme in Nigeria in 2015, and is currently operating in two area offices; Maiduguri (Borno State), Yola (Adamawa State) and six field offices; Monguno, Dikwa, Biu, Damasak, Mubi, Gwoza/Pulka.
The security situation is highly volatile and unpredictable.
The NRC Nigeria programme portfolio includes all six core competencies of NRC Nigeria. ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), Livelihood and Food Security, WASH, Shelter, Education and Camp management.
The Country HSS manager serves as the lead technical resource on health, safety and security risks and crisis management within Nigeria country. This function is line managed (direct) by the Country Director (CD) and managed in a technical line (dotted) by the Regional HSS function.
This role acts as the technical supervisor for Area HSS staff or equivalent within the country, and serves as a core member of the country management group and crisis management team.
The HSS Manager reports to the CD.
Areas of Interest/ Specialization
|Nigeria | Maiduguri|
- Promote and stimulate HSS risk management culture.
- Provide Country management group (CMG) with strategic advice based on changes to the context.
- Oversee and support national HSS risk management to staff, assets, operation and reputation of NRC Nigeria.
- Implement the NRC Global HSS Management System at national level and provide reports a required.
- Develop and maintain national HSS documents and procedures incl. strategy and budget.
- Lead and monitor the implementation and compliance of NRC Nigeria health, safety and security risk management framework, and reduce risks by seeking creative solutions for mitigation to (in order of priority): NRC Nigeria staff, programs, organization, beneficiaries and assets.
- Undertake regularly missions in the field and provide technical support and security advice to the Area Managers (AM) and Country Director (CD).
- Identify safety and security conditions that are specific to the geographical areas where NRC intervenes and safety and security factors that may impede access to the beneficiaries of NRC Nigeria.
- Substantial and demonstrated prior experience as a trainer.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Professional qualifications or studies in general management, HSS and/or risk management.
- Prior work experience at the country level.
- Experience or qualifications in humanitarian access.
- Experience or qualifications in negotiations.
- Minimum 3 year’s of experience from working as a senior HSS Manager in an international humanitarian / recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
|Information not available.|